Our Be.EV taxi membership scheme has now launched, giving Greater Manchester-licensed taxi drivers (hackney or private hire) access to the planned network of dedicated charge points at a reduced rate.
We realise that we have lots of work to do to get dedicated taxi charge points in the ground and we have been working with Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) and the Greater Manchester local authorities to identify the right sites for development. We have plans to install 60 dedicated EV taxi rapid charging points as quickly as possible, with the first of these available to all Greater Manchester-licensed EV taxi drivers due to go live in early 2022. All 60 are due to be fully operational by early 2023 and have been funded by OZEV.
The first dedicated rapid charger for Manchester City Council hackney drivers, at the Hardman Street taxi rank in Spinningfields in Manchester city centre, is planned to be operational shortly. For updates on when dedicated taxi rapid chargers are being installed and going live, please visit TfGM Electric Travel.
We want to make charging easier, and encourage more taxi drivers to switch to greener and more sustainable vehicles for a healthier and happier city region!
Joining the Taxi Membership Scheme:
You MUST be a GM-licensed taxi driver (hackney or private hire) to join. Its free and simple, just follow these steps:
- Register as a Be.EV member which you can do HERE
- Log into your account using your credentials
- Navigate to the “vehicles” tab
- Click “Add vehicle”
- Complete the add vehicle form
- Click the "this vehicle is a taxi" box
- Enter your taxi badge number issued by your local authority
- Click "next" and the account for the vehicle has been created
To validate that you are a Greater Manchester-licensed taxi driver you will need to visit one of TfGM’s Travelshops in Greater Manchester with the following:
- your Be.EV membership email address
- your taxi badge/s issued by your local authority
TfGM will then notify Be.EV that your details have been confirmed. The date on which your access will be activated will be given as part of the validation process.
General Tariff & Taxi Membership Tariff:
A tariff was introduced on the network on Friday 1st October 2021 – This has been agreed with Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) and provides a more sustainable network across all 10 boroughs of Greater Manchester.
The good news is that all Be.EV members can benefit from a discounted rate on public chargers. In addition taxi members will benefit from a further discount when using a taxi-only rapid charger:
- £0.25 Taxi Membership Rate (only available at dedicated taxi charge points)
- £0.35/kWh Pay As You Go (PAYG*) at all public charge points
- £0.32/kWh Standard Be.EV Member Rate at all public charge points
- £0.25/kWh Pay As You Go (PAYG*) at all public charge points
- £0.22/kWh Standard Be.EV Member Rate at all public charge points
* Pay As You Go rate applies when paying by contactless or webpay on public charge points
All rates are inclusive of VAT at 20% following the HMRC ruling in May 2021
For more information please visit our FAQ pages: